Saturday, June 25, 2011

Louder than sirens, louder than bells; sweeter than heaven, hotter than hell.

This weekend is all about getting 'er done. Whether it's catching up on some overdue ladies time or making this apartment feel more like a home, I've got a lot on my plate. Luckily, it's all stuff I want to do. I'll be posting updates and pictures of my progress, but first our delicious Polish dinner before the Florence + The Machine concert on Thursday night.

We also boiled a few frozen pierogis to round out the Polish theme. Meg brought home some beers and apple pie from the coffeeshop down the street. I was stuffed when we left for the concert, which ensured that I wouldn't waste any money on the expensive concessions at the Bank of America Pavilion. It was a chilly and rainy night, so it was a little disappointing to find out our seats were of the uncovered variety once we got to the venue. (Meg scored these tickets for free from a friend who ended up having to work, so it makes up for the surprise.) We made the best of it, though, especially after Mike befriended a ticket scanner and ran back to the car for a big picnic blanket and an umbrella. By the end of the concert, I was wrapped entirely in the blanket, dancing my tush off. 

For some reason, I tend to listen more closely to song lyrics when I'm hearing them live. Last night was no different, and I officially am enamored of Drumming Song. I can relate to the theme of being driven almost mad by someone, feeling that intensity inside your body that you can't seem to control. It's almost a cautionary tale about how hypnotic that feeling can be and eventually take over to the point of consumption. Go down to the river and dive straight in. I pray the water will drown out the din. 

 Turkey kielbasa stuffed with sauerkraut sauteed with onions and cheese. 
 Twice baked potatoes. 

And mini salads with romaine, cucumbers, tomato, and cheese chunks

If you're interested in a super simple recipe, check it out below the jump!
Stuffed Kielbasa: Sautee a small can of sauerkraut and chopped onions with butter in a pan. Boil the kielbasa in shallow water until softened. Make a slice in the kielbasa so it looks like an open hot dog bun. Stuff with cheese chunks, sauteed sauerkraut and onion mixture, then top with cheese. Broil until cheese is melted and browned.

Twice-Baked Potatoes: Bake or microwave potatoes until soft in the center. Scoop out the center of the potatoes, leaving the skin shells intact. Mash the potato innards, mixing in butter, pepper, garlic, and other seasonings to taste. I always add a little milk to my mashed potato mixture to keep it from drying out. Plop mixture back into the skin shells and top with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted. 

You know how to make a salad. What recipes are you experimenting with these days?

No comments: