Monday, June 13, 2011

Austin-bound.

June is starting off to be a great and busy month. This past weekend started early with the ScooperBowl on Wednesday night (all-you-can-eat ice cream!). Mike drove down for it, and we hung with Jennatron and KMo and Chris made a late appearance. We drove back to Ludlow that night just in time for Mike to get a tummy ache from his 15 cups of ice cream. There's always a cost to "free." Thursday was an early day: I woke up at 7 to start work so I could finish up in time to head to the Yankee/Red Sox game at Yankee Stadium. We headed out - Mike, his cousin Mike, his friend Mike (no joke), and I - drove the backroads to the Bronx. It was only about a two and a half hour drive, and after a quick nap I was ready to go. The weather turned dark and windy as we approached the stadium, and the skies opened up as soon as we got there and ate meal number one (a noodle bowl). The three and a half hour rain delay meant another meal of garlic fries and a hot dog to tie us over until the game finally started at 10:30.

We only stayed until the 7th inning when the Sox made their 7 run comeback. My favorite part of the game? The soft-serve ice cream cone and belting Dixie Chicks while I drove us home at 3:30 in the morning. Oh, and this guy's hair:

We got back at 4 and quickly hit the sack. Mike took a sick day Friday, so he got to sleep in while I rolled out of bed to work. I took his car and drove to Dunkin Donuts for some iced coffee, then came home and made a big breakfast to ease my bigger-than-if-I'd-slept-normal-hours appetite. We lounged, played some Left4Dead on his Xbox (I've been converted from not having a tv to playing zombie video games and watching Hoarders...). That night we went to Red Robin for dinner. It was a perfect weekend in suburbia.

I also did a little sewing experiment this weekend that turned out pretty great. I saw these adorable owl cake toppers via SkunkBoy Creatures and knew that my friend Kavi, who's wedding is this Saturday in Austin, would love them. I sent her the picture and told her I would do my best to recreate them. A couple weeks later, two trips to Joann's Fabrics, and several pricked fingers and episodes of Hoarders later, I present to you my humble take on Katie's adorable cake toppers:

I leave Thursday morning, so I'm trying to wrap up this week even though it's just begun. I cannot wait to explore Austin and spend some lazy pool time with old friends and make new ones at the bachelorette party and reception. I'd lovelovelove suggestions for while we're in Austin, so throw them at me here or on Twitter!
  

No comments: