Thursday, January 19, 2012

(365 Chances) #6: No Knead Bread

Let me tell you what, not much is better for the soul than fresh homemade bread, a new thermos full of hot coffee, a night out bowling with friends (and breaking 100 points [pins?] in the first six frames!), and a day working from home. 

My plans today are to get my hair trimmed finally and write, write, write. And when I can't write anymore, I'm going to sew a cover for my Kindle. Thursdays have become my most favorite Mel-time days. As has become custom, I'm working from Jenna's house because my Internet stinks and I want to take full advantage of my remote working capabilities. It also gets me up and out of pajamas and into working mode. I packed coffee and lunch: PB&J on homemade bread (!!!) and crackers and edamame hummus (go get it from Trader Joe's right now). 

If you're interested, here's the super simple recipe for no knead bread (pictured above):

You will need:
3 cups bread flour
1 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp dry active yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
Time
Extra flour for dusting
A cotton towel, not terrycloth (or in my case, an old t-shirt I didn't mind parting with)

What you will do:
The night before...Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix in the warm water with a wooden spoon until combined. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let sit for 12 to 20 hours. (I usually do this step the night before I want to eat the bread. It takes about five minutes.)

The day of...Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. (The dough will want to stick to the bowl, but will peel easily off of it with a little help.) Fold the edges of the dough over on itself with either A) wet hands or B) a plastic spoon. Now dust your towel and place in the pot you plan to cook your bread in. (Note: Don't use terrycloth, as the little fibers will stick to your dough. I used an old t-shirt because all we have are terrycloth towels.) Cover with the towel and let sit for two hours. (Confession: I've never let this sit for the full two hours, because I'm antsy to get cooking and eating. I usually let it sit for an hour, then let it hang out in the oven while it's preheating...)

Now preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Bake the bread covered for 30 minutes. Then uncover and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. The temperature inside should be about 210 degrees. 

Cut and slather with butter or Nutella! 

No comments: