Thursday, May 5, 2011

Dream, dream, dream.

The sun is out today! It's chilly and windy, but not too much of either, just refreshing. Got to work a little early today, I've got my coffee and the last few pages I've read in Joyce Carol Oates' memoir A Widow's Story swirling around in my head.

I've been thinking more about ambitions. I had a funky day yesterday, and I know that it's tied directly to my feeling stuck - in my career and financial situations. My horoscope today said that I can't logistically follow every ambition I have, so I should ruminate before choosing the one I actually want. Funny how those things can be spot on sometimes.

So today, rather than choosing which path to follow, I want to lay them all out, like clothes on a bed, just to see what they look like:
  • Bakery owner. I want to make semi-healthy treats that people can enjoy on a rainy day, a sunny day in the park, or at a holiday celebration. I love experimenting with sweets, and I'd love to be able to do that for a living.
  • English and Literature teacher. I studied Writing, Literature, and Publishing, and reading/writing fiction will always be my main passion. I've said before that my dream job is any job where I can read and talk about what I've read. I'd be so down to be that nerdy teacher who gushes about books.
  • Librarian. Eeeee! This one reflects that last one as well, especially since I'd love to be a librarian in a school, however sparse these job opportunities are these days. Perhaps I'm romanticizing, but I'd love to be a part of kids' experience with books.
  • Fiction Editor. Whether at a literary magazine or at a publishing company, the idea of reading new writers' work and fighting for their publication or sending them feedback, the thought makes my ginny tickle. TMI?
Well, that's it for now. I just have to work on getting that pared down a bit. And there's my ongoing side-career of writing fiction that goes hand-in-hand with whatever I decide to do.
What does your list look like? Or, if you already have your dream job, what is it/what's your secret?

No comments: