Wednesday, February 9, 2011

No cigar (yet).

I did it! I woke up at 6:20 this morning! Alas, I didn't end up writing anything. First comes discipline, then comes brilliant writing, right? We'll see.

I read an article in the New Yorker on the three belief camps surrounding the Internet and the Digital Age's effects on brain function, attention spans, and book culture. It's interesting, a little elementary, but a good overview of the differing opinions. I'd say I'm of the belief system that every generation has its clues that the end is near, though I think that's sometimes more of a pacification method for myself rather than a solid foundation.

Writing group went well last night. I was recounting how our meetings used to last four to five hours, and now they're down to two and half, three at most, while also increasing in efficiency.

I'm working on a story right now about two couples that go to a hibachi restaurant. It's stalling right now, taking forever to draw itself out. Or maybe that's me. Suggested title from a phone conversation: "Hibachi Shenanigans."

I've been revisiting Carver lately, and it feels so good. I used to fly through his collections, but I'm taking my sweet time with Cathedral and the savoring is good.

No comments: