Friday, July 15, 2011

One thing I know for sure.

This blog has been an experiment in keeping a regular journal. Physical journals have always started out strong but end up getting abandoned about a month in. I hoped that finding a community that offers inspiration as well as accountability would be just what I needed, and so far it has. Case and point: Sometimes Sweet's journal days

The older we get, the more certain we get about who we are and what our purpose is.  For me, a lot of it is still unknown, but as I make my way down my own path, I have begun to realize that there are indeed some inevitable truths that I know for sure. On your own blog, write a post that talks about "the one thing you know for sure."

Nobody prepares you for life after college. It's been almost three years (oh. my. god.), and I still remember that first year fresh out vividly. It was tough. There was a lot of crying, worrying, and general uncertainty. I was a bartender at the time, and I felt left behind by my graduating class and friends. I felt stuck in my internship and restaurant job; I felt like I would forever feel like I was in college without actually being in college. Since then, I've gotten a real job and started expanding my hopes for my career. I've surprised myself as to what I can overcome, especially when it came to mental roadblocks and self-doubt. And no matter how unsure I am about where I'll be in five or ten years, I know that I will always appreciate the little things in life. Whether I'm still working at my current job or I own a bakery, I know that I will love waking with the sun, sitting on my back porch, lying in the grass reading a book, and sharing a meal with friends. Even when I can't find joy in what pays the bills or I feel frustrated and stuck in my discipline, I know that at the end of the day, a good short story or conversation or letter written can lift my spirits to dust off and try again.  

I've always known that I wouldn't make a lot of money, and knowing the amount of joy that I can find in the smallest, free-est things has always comforted me. 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

this post is so true. youre never prepared, you just have to figure it out!

<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Idée Géniale said...

Hi Mel!

This is so true! I feel the same way. I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life after school, and well definitely never thought that i'd be working in fashion and NY. but hey, even if I wasn't here, I know that as long as I'm doing something I love i'm going to be happy.

thank you so much for reading the new blog. hope you enjoy it!

Mel
xo

Kara said...

As someone who worries a lot about my after college years, this post was great to read. Thank you for sharing. <3

Em said...

you make a really good point, its often so easy to forget the small things... i think mine are, the cool side of the pillow, the smell of fresh cut grass & being able to reach the top shelf (because i'm 5ft10!).