Friday, May 20, 2011

Changing things up.

I'm new to this daily-life-blogging thing. I have a blog about writing and reading. I contribute to a blog of fiction and poetry. I also write for a book review blog. So this whole journey-of-me thing without a specific focus has been throwing me off. I just started and I'm already undergoing an identity crisis!

So what I'm going to do is slow it down a bit. I'm going to write for me. There are so many wonderful blogs/bloggers out there whom I admire and read religiously, and I think that I was trying to emulate them. Instead, I'll do us all a favor and start something new.

That said, here goes.

So I've decided to take a couple weeks off of my writing group. I just haven't been writing anything I'm particularly proud of, and everything I send in feels like a waste of time for them to read. With family craziness and other things occupying my head, I think it's best to take a step back and let myself absorb for a while without churning out. We'll see how it goes. I started a spreadsheet in my Google docs today to keep track of my writing submissions, so hopefully that will start to fill up as the summer progresses and I start to get my shiz together. We'll see!

I've been reading voraciously, though, which I plan to keep up. I'm in the middle of Volt, a collection of short stories by Alan Heathcock right now and enjoying it. I also have a book on photography that I checked out from the library but have yet to crack open. Even though I'm no longer in school, summer still represents a time to slow down and enjoy the little things in life like being outside, riding bikes, lying in the grass and reading. I'm excited for that mindset to get into all the other crevices of my life.

No comments: